I am a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist working in the Edina-Bloomington area. I specialize in working with couples who struggle with conflict, miscommunication, infidelity, or ongoing dysfunction. I also work with individuals who have been impacted by trauma, anxiety, panic, depression, grief, life transitions, and adoption.
I tailor my approach based on your needs. Much of my work is geared toward helping you understand yourself, to become more conscious of your reactions, to gain coping skills, and to learn new ways to attain positive life changes. I use a holistic approach to achieve cognitive, emotional, and physical well-being by incorporating a variety of evidence-tested methods.
I am trained to use cognitive behavioral therapy, relational life therapy, trauma focused behavioral therapy, psycho-dynamic, mindfulness, guided relaxation, somatic experiencing, and mind-body work. These methods have been shown to empower individuals and couples to make positive, long-lasting change.
I want to be there to support you, to hear your story, and to help you discover your strengths. I believe it is never too late to make positive change, to redirect your life and to learn about yourself. I know this from my own personal experience as an adoptee, a wife, and a mother. I have undergone my own share of hardships, tough decisions, and challenging life transitions. It is never too late to find joy, self-love, contentment, and value. Our past errors are learning opportunities. When you learn new coping tools, when you increase your self-awareness, improve your self-confidence and compassion, that's when you develop the tools to love yourself and others.
Discover your strengths, new coping skills and self-love. Where there is healing, there is hope.
Currently in SE (Somatic Experiencing) training, a 3 year course created by Peter A. Levine, Ph.D
Years in Practice: Since 2013
- MA: Adler Graduate School
- Languages: English and French
- License No. and State: Minnesota Board of Marriage and Family Therapy license number 3326
- Additional Certificates and Training:
- NTI Adoption Competency Coaching and Training for trauma in adoption and foster care
- ITC, Immunity to Change facilitators training
- TFCBT, Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Micro-facial and body language training
- Motivational interviewing
- Experience Working With:
- Couples conflict, infidelity, communication, adjustment
- Relational issues
- Life transitions
- Sexual Abuse
- Songs of My Families, a memoir about adoption by Kelly Fern
- MN Voices: From Korea to Minnesota and Back
- From Heartache to Happiness, The StarTribune
- Minnesota Women's Press: Of Daughters, Mothers, Distance and Healing
- Encapsulated and Constructive Marginals: Adoption
- Kelly Fern book reading at Magers and Quinn
- Kelly and others speak about adoption on NPR
- Kelly speaks with Joel Boggess about courage, love, and Forgiveness